Tuesday, January 17, 2012

That's a Wrap!

Well I've been home (as in Madison home) for approximately 1 week. I've been in the US for 13 days. It didn't take long to settle back in--I'm living with some great girls this semester and it feels fantastic to be back on campus. The time I got to spend at home was wonderful, I think that no matter where I travel, my mom's kitchen will be one of my favorite places in the world until the day I die. I loved hanging out with old friends and chatting with all their parents. I didn't realize how many people had been reading this blog until I started getting questions about my recorded adventures! Now that I know I have an audience (outside of my immediate family) typing is a little intimidating! But it's definitely important to do a little reflection I think, so I'll face my fears!

Common Questions I've Received...
1) Well how was Costa Rica?!
2) What was your favorite meal?
3) What's the first thing you ate in America?
4) Was Belize something you did with your study abroad program?
5) Are you experiencing any culture shock?
6) Do you want to go back?
7) Do you miss it?

Answers:
1) Absolutely fantastic. But you'll have to be more specific...
2) In Costa Rica, the typical breakfast. Gallo pinto, fresh farmers cheese, fried plantains....oh lawd. I could eat that everyday I think. Belize, I loved Carmela's homemade tortillas and Zoe's chicken curry. Also Paul's banana milkshakes were out of this world! However, my all time favorite Central American food is ceviche.
3) French fries and a vanilla cone from the McDonalds drive-thru in the front seat of Annie Huber's car.
4) Nope, it was a completely separate internship program that I found using Google a year ago. It was definitely the cherry on top of an incredible semester
5) Not really. I mean it's weird to think that I'll be sitting in a lecture hall again for classes, instead of in the middle of an old growth forest. And I've had sticker shock at restaurants a few times, but it kind of feels like I never left...almost like Costa Rica was a dream! Even though I know better, I keep thinking all my friends' lives stopped when I left. So when they talk about things that happened "last semester" I keep thinking they're talking about last spring...absurd I know, but my brain is adjusting. Climate shock on the other hand, that I am definitely experiencing! To Minnesota and Wisconsin's credit, they definitely tried to ease me out of the 85 and sunny gently, with 40 degrees in the middle of January! However, real winter has since come out to play and there is snow on the ground...and it is COLD!
6) Of course! Absolutely as soon as my schedule and bank account align, I'd go back in either country. 
7) Oh so much. As wonderful as it is to be back on American soil with family, friends, George Strait, and Bucky, Costa Rica and Belize were some of the most magical places I've ever been. I miss the Spanish, the outdoorsy-ness, the people, and most of all the constant feeling of incredulity of "is this real life?!"

Please ask more questions, if you have them! I'm happy to answer them because--shocker--I love talking about my adventures!

All in all, these have been some of the most incredible months of my life! I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to explore new countries, interests, and meet some of the most wonderful people I've ever met.

Thank you for reading, it's been quite a journey!




2 comments:

  1. Hey! What about #6 and #7? I can't stand not knowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! I hit publish instead of save and went to work...I fixed it now though!

    ReplyDelete