Monday, April 22, 2013

What a Whirlwind

So our first three groups have come and gone and holy crap, time is flying. I can't believe I've already been here for 2.5 months! Where has the time gone?! Oh yeah, that's right...consumed by hours of painting, tree trimming, raking, scrubbing and bleaching.

But no more!

Real education season is upon us, and our first three groups were just a review. The first week of middle schoolers was awesome. Sure they were shrill, loud, and had the energy of 10 energizer bunnies (each!), but the 6th graders were enthusiastic about everything. From breakfast to snorkeling at the reef to sitting in a classroom learning about Marine Habitats, they were totally 100% in to it. I loved having them on the island. Our next two groups, both high school juniors/seniors, were quite a bit of a slow down. They were interested, but couldn't be too interested. The "it's not cool to be too into anything" mentality was definitely present for these two groups, and it made me a little sad. However, I loved getting to chat with them about all the stuff I loved in high school--friends, how their football team did, prom, etc. We have another high school coming this week from a Christian Academy and I'm hoping that we'll get to do a little praise and worship on the dock every morning...but we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment