Friday, February 22, 2013

Welcome to the PK Lounge

My coworkers are AWESOME.

They all are nature nerds to the max, so I'm never alone in geeking out over a new creature. They have incredible work ethics, so I know we all have each other's backs. They have each read all of the Harry Potter books. Everyone is always down to grab a drink and have a good time. They're all as incredulous as I am that this is our real life. And they are all ecstatic to be here.

One talks in abbrevs. One is more prepared for any situation than any Scout I've ever met (without ever having been a Scout!). One made a Redwall reference on day three (dude, do you guys know how rare it is to find someone else who was as obsessed with those books as me?!). One is always good for a G&T-fueled Tswift dance party. One is always down for a good arts 'n' crafts sesh. One taught me how to make a rue yesterday!

There's three girl interns, including myself, that live in a re-purposed shed with me, and the boy intern gets his own room. But before you start saying how unfair that sounds, let me explain. Although a year ago our "house" was a home for spare bed parts and random pieces of wood, it got a beautiful make over! With two windows (read: arrow slits), a little fresh paint, a "fire escape" and an air conditioner, it has become the PK Lounge. We have to walk across the island for bathrooms and showers, but the boy's room is attached to a building that will house students later this summer...and I'd take our little removed shack over hearing long nights of Truth or Dare and "Never have I ever" any day.


My only complaint? I am the only country music fan on this whole freaking island. So I will bide my time and enjoy the random radio stations of my coworkers...but later this summer when I'm on solo meal duty for a group of students? Yep, you can bet George Strait and friends will be cooking right along with me!

1 comment:

  1. If the nature nerd thing doesn't work out, I think there might be a future as a writer. As usual, another wonderful post. Love it and love you!

    ReplyDelete